God's Love Shines down on us all

God's Love Shines down on us all
I Love You All, Blessed Be

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Autistic Aspect that needs more attention

Autism is talked about so much more than when I was a child growing up. There are many different classifications on the spectrum and it's starting to get the attention it deserves. But the focus is always on the physical aspects of autism. This child doesn't talk, like my daughter, or this child has a speach problems or coordination issues, like my son. Some, like myself, are even born with physical defects to their bodies. There is not a lot of focus, however, on the emotional issues of autism. It's just classified as a meltdown, no matter what the individual is going through. Emotional issues can have a huge impact on a persons health. I personally with my Aspergers, have suffered with severe depression, many different anxieties (most of all Social anxiety), phobias, or fears (needles have always been a huge one with me, sometimes taking 3 or 4 people to hold me down), the phobias can cause major panic attacks, my son and I have symptoms of ADHD, which I'm sure is connected to our autism, hyperactivity, the list can go on and on but Experts and parents of autistic children only seem to focus on the physical and don't pay much attention to the REAL issues that the individual is experiencing. I hope this will change someday, but I still see talk on the news to this day that discusses how one individual with autism suffers more severely than another due to the physical aspects, and I personally believe they all suffer the same and more severely with the emotional aspects. Just because someone can't talk doesn't mean they can't communicate, my daughter does it with me all the time. I think she has an easier life right now because she is with me 99% of the time, therefore she doesn't suffer from as many emotional issues as my son does when he is attending school. I hope this post will help to enlighten some who haven't paid that much attention to the emotions of someone with autism. Those who agree with this post I encourage to spread it around, again to raise awareness. As always, all my love to you and yours

No comments:

Post a Comment